Estrogen is predominant sex hormone at women which is responsible for the menstrual cycle at women, growth of breasts, pubic and underarm hair. Additionally, estrogen is in charge for the cholesterol levels, and in same time protects bone health and even affects the brain.
We can sum up that estrogen is a extremely importantpart of a healthy, functioning body for women.
In this article we are going to write about estrogen dominance – a condition when there is too much. Although this condition is not considered as a major health concern among women, estrogen dominance in fact is very common in women, particularly around North America, where estrogen dominance affects even 50% of women over 35% in the US.
Many women are learning how to read and recognize the signs and symptoms of this condition, but some women are not even suspecting that they are suffering from this condition. Below there is simple protocol that will help you to bring your hormones back into perfect balance. Both gender can use this in order to prevent it in the first place.
Before we go to that, here are the top 10 symptoms of estrogen dominance:
- Bad PMS (breast tenderness/swelling, mood swings, headaches)
- Abnormal menstrual periods
- Weight gain (especially hips and abs)
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Hair loss
- Low libido
- Slow metabolism
- Brain fog
- Difficulty sleeping
Step 1: Remove xenoestrogens
Greater industrialization and new discoveries in technology brought many side-effects, and there are included the harmful chemical compounds that have entered into our daily routines. Xenoestrogen is such chemical compound that can mimic estrogen in the body.
It is recommended to swap out these offenders to of your daily routine: plastic bottles, BPA cans, dryer sheets, plastic Tupperware, birth control pill, soy protein isolate, non-organic dairy, cosmetics, tap water, makeup and toiletries.
Step 2: Ensure efficient elimination
It is crucial to remove the excess estrogen from your body and if you are chronically constipated the estrogen won’t go anywhere. In fact, it will re-enter the bloodstream and circulate throughout your body, and that continuously will cause problems.
Make sure you are have daily bowel movements before you start taking liver and estrogen detoxification supporting supplements. To improve these movements, try the following tips:
- Drink 2-3L of water every day.
- Along with each meal make sure at least half plate to be filled with
- Consume probiotic foods such as kimchi, sauerkraut, miso, kefir, plain yogurt and tempeh.
- To your daily smoothie, oatmeal or parfait add a scoop of fiber.
- Supplement with magnesium citrate or Triphala (an Ayurvedic herb that promotes bowel movements).
Step 3: Support liver health & Estrogen detoxification
A well-functioning liver contributes to process of removing excess estrogen from the body. During the detoxification process (phase 1 and phase 2), the liver turns the estrogen into a water-soluble form in order to be excreted through urine and stool.
What you can do to support liver function:
- Drink plenty of clean, filtered water (2-3L daily).
- Each real, whole-foods based diet and avoid processed foods.
- Avoid overeating
- Avoid alcohol abuse
- Supplement with herbs that support the health of your liver like Milk thistle, dandelion root, barberry, gentian, rosemary, licorice, ginger, red clover, burdock root.
- Supplement with nutrients that support detoxification like the B-vitamins (in particular, B6, B12 and folic acid).
- Eat plenty of foods that support health of your liver including beets, dandelion greens, dark leafy greens, artichoke, onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale etc.)